Heading south on Mississauga Road from Dundas Street, it is hard to miss the majestic trees that line the winding road firing up the sky with their fall colours. It is a close reminder that winter is right around the corner and our thoughts turn to preparing our homes for the cold season ahead. As a construction company, it is not uncommon for us to go into homes in the spring that have had damage incurred over the winter. Most of the time, these issues could have been easily prevented if there was some care taken to go through a proper winterization process. While some of these points may be obvious to some homeowners, it is always a good idea to remind ourselves that doing something small can save us a lot of headache and trouble come springtime!
In a lot of cases, CO poisoning is hard to detect as the initial mild symptoms include headache, vomiting, nausea, burning eyes and sometimes a runny nose. These are all symptoms common to an average cold or flu. More severe symptoms of CO poisoning would include dizziness and confusion, drowsiness and weakness. If people find themselves experiencing any of the mentioned symptoms and have been exposed to some of the causes of CO poisoning, they should seek medical treatment immediately.
Major causes of CO poisoning during a power outage come from portable generators, charcoal inside the house or sleeping in an idling car. In other instances, insufficient venting and defective heating equipment can leak high levels of Carbon Monoxide and can cause CO poisoning as well. There are several ways that we can help prevent CO poisoning and the most important one is installing a CO detector that will alert you to high levels of CO in the air. Some other ways of prevention would be not to run your vehicle in a closed garage, never to run a portable generator in the home and not to operate propane, natural gas or charcoal barbeque grills indoors.
Winter is always a tough season and no one understands that better than us Canadians. From bone chilling temperatures to blindsiding blizzards, we always get hit with something unpredictable! We need to always think of safety first in emergency situations and find ways to keep ourselves warm but safe. Always seek medical treatment if you suspect you may have CO poisoning and always ensure that the CO detectors in your home are functioning properly and that the batteries are fresh. A simple change of the battery could save your life!